The best thing about winter coming as I have said before, is winter food. Food that makes you feel warm and cosy inside! Jam Roly Poly is one of those puddings that makes you feel just like that. This is our recipe and I hope you enjoy it!
- 250g plain flour
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 50g light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 125g suet (veggie suet is fine for this as well as the normal beef suet)
- 120ml water (you may not need it all)
- 8 tablespoons of strawberry jam – warmed through so slightly runny
- a little sugar to sprinkle on top
- pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 200C /400F /Gas Mark 6
- Add the flour, suet, light brown sugar and salt to a bowl and add enough of the water to make a soft ‘puggy’ dough. Make sure the dough is not too sticky, if it becomes too sticky just add a little extra flour.
- Sprinkle some extra flour over your work surface/table and roll out your dough until you have a rectangle approx 30cm x 20cm.
- On the upside of your dough, spread the warmed jam all over leaving a border of about 1cm thick all the way around.
- Fold the border without jam in on itself and brush with milk to help it seal when you roll it.
- Turn the dough so the shorter side of the rectangle is facing you and start to roll the dough into roll, don’t force it to be a tight roll otherwise it will crack and split. Seal the ends with more milk.
- Add the roly poly to a greased baking tray, seal side down and then brush with beaten egg. Once the egg is on then sprinkle with sugar on top.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for approx 30-45 minutes (keep an eye on it after about 25 minutes as it can catch and burn very quickly) until it is golden brown.
- Slice in thick slices and serve with custard or clotted cream mmmm!