Who are we?
Hi, we’re Andrew and Emma, and together with our family, we live on a small farm estate on the Blackdown Hills in Somerset, which we’d love to share with you. Listed in the Domesday book, it’s an historic place, so that’s partly why we chose Shepherd Huts for our glamping business – as it combines heritage with luxury.
You can expect a private getaway location with en-suite facilities and a full-sized double bed – plus a wood-fired hot tub, garden oven and firepit. We are perfectly located for walking on the Blackdown Hills and with Lyme Regis and the Jurassic Coast just 30 minutes drive away, you can hideaway or venture out – the choice is yours…
Where did the name “Dimpsey” come from?
Every now and again, you hear a word that rouses your curiosity because you haven’t heard it before – and Dimpsey as our brand name started from an occasion just like that. Cue a bit of google research and it turns out that it’s a West Country term for the half-light that comes at the end of the day, so twilight or dusk – we loved the word and so we had our brand name.
What are the Dimpsey Shepherd’s Huts all about?
We set out to create an inspiring, luxury stay place where you can see great places, eat great food, find cool stuff and chill out, so…
- We aim to provide a high-end stay experience in a field with all needs catered for and a concierge style recommendation service. When you stay with us at Dimpsey, the choice to stay in or go out and explore the area is yours – we’ll just help you see the very best that the South West has to offer.
- In keeping with the country name and the Shepherd’s Hut heritage – we source vintage and UK artisan made pieces – using natural materials like wool, leather, stone, and wood.
- We like to introduce people to the Somerset countryside and a little slice of farm life – closeness to nature is important.
- We search out handmade products and things you may not have come across before – things like magazines and books etc
- We create a space for you to just be, so we have no wi-fi, wood-fired cooking and hot-tub and a slow-boiling whistling kettle. So whether you’re escaping for a retreat, want to have some time as a couple or just need to relax – Dimpsey is the stay for you.
- We’re inspired by the Mandarin Oriental Mantra – “Luxury is achieved when service is intuitive and goes beyond obligation”.
If you’d like to read more about how we chose our first Blackdown Shepherd’s Hut called Hither in 2014 and why – please read our blog post here. Hither has received rave reviews over the year and is such a cosy space to come and stay in. With a full-sized double bed folding down out of the wall, and en-suite bathroom and luxurious daybed, it’s a real winner with our guests.
Our second shepherd’s hut was added in 2019 and is called Yonder. Another luxury build from Blackdown Shepherd Huts, it consists of two shepherd huts joined together, affording extra space to our guests. We’ve chosen to fill that space with a William Holland Bath and a freestanding bed – we think you’re going to like it!
Tales from the hut…
So that just leaves our blog where we’ll keep you up-to-date with all things Dimpsey.
You can also sign up for our newsletter here if you want to make sure you hear all the news and offers.
What can you expect?
We want make sure that you have a great Dimpsey experience, so we promise you the following:-
– We will provide excellent customer service, so we will always try and go the extra mile.
– If you come and stay with us, we will do our very best to make sure that you have a great time.
– If you shop online with us, you can be sure that delivery will be quick and that the products will be great quality.
– If you want something and we can help, we will. If you have any problems, we will do our best to solve them.
Don’t forget, we’d love to hear your ideas as well – if you can think of a theme or a product you’d like us to present in the Dimpsey Hut, please do email us via our contact page.